FALL 2017, F/W 2017-2018 and WINTER 2018 HONOURS REGISTRATION PROCEDURES
If you are applying for admission or re-admission to the Honours program and registering for 4000-level Psychology courses, SUBMIT YOUR HONOURS DOCUMENTS to Dr. Harinder Aujla (firstname.lastname@example.org). You will not be able to register for a 4000-level Psychology course unless you have gone through this process. Detailed information and instructions are below.
It is mandatory that Psychology Honours students go through the Honours advising process in order to be re-/admitted into the Honours program and to receive permission to register for 4000-level Psychology courses. The advising process can be done digitally, or, if one needs to discuss one’s program of study, one can make an appointment with an Advisor by contacting Dr. Aujla.
Please note that entry to the Honours program requires completing a minimum of 30 credit hours. Also note that entry to Honours, as well as continuation in the Honours program, requires a minimum 3.0 GPA (B) in Psychology courses and 2.5 GPA (C+) in Non-Psychology courses. Consult the UWinnipeg Psychology Department website or the University Course Calendar for other entry and continuation requirements.
Psychology Honours courses fill to capacity quickly, so students are strongly advised to submit their Honours Advising Forms as early as possible to avoid wait lists.
PROCEDURE (FOR 2017-2018 HONOURS COURSES)
STEP 1: WebAdvisor. Obtain a copy of your transcript from WebAdvisor and plan your schedule using Student Planning under the Registration menu in WebAdvisor. The Honours Advisor will review your plan after you submit your course plan to the Honours Advisor.
STEP 2: Honours Forms. Download and complete the following Honours forms:
- Honours Degree Checklist [Optional]. Although you need not complete the Honours Degree Checklist to register for 4000-level Psychology courses, you should complete and review the checklist to ensure that you will meet all of the requirements to obtain a BA Honours Degree in Psychology. Or, use the UWinnipeg Student Planning tool here.
- GPA Calculator [Required]. Enter the details from your most recent transcript for all of the Psychology courses you have taken into the top section of the calculator’s worksheet. Enter the details for your non-Psychology courses into the bottom section of the worksheet.
- BA Honours Form [Required]. Complete most of the form (including the 4000-level courses that you want to register for), but leave blank the Comments and Submitted by sections, which your Advisor must fill in. Your Advisor will verify the information that you have completed on the form, such as the GPA that you have entered.
- File Names. Save the GPA Calculator and BA Honours Form using the following filename convention: “yourlastname-studentnumber”.
- Special Permissions. If you require permission from a faculty member to take an Honours course, then contact the faculty member and request permission to take the course. In your permission request, direct the faculty member to copy the Honours Committee Chair (see below) on the “Permission Form” sent to Registration.
STEP 3: Honours Advising Request.
- Prepare an e-mail for the Chair of the Honours Committee with “Honours Advising Request” in the subject. In your e-mail message, please provide the date of your registration appointment.
- Submit the GPA Calculator spreadsheet and BA Honours Form as attachments to the e-mail.
Dr. Harinder Aujla: email@example.com
- An Honours Advisor will review your Honours Forms and inform you about your eligibility to register for Honours courses.
- Although an appointment to meet with an Honours Advisor is optional, you may arrange to meet with the Honours Advisor who processes your Honours Forms and discuss your program of study.